Happy New Year!
As 2017 has come and gone, the new year is a time when most people make resolutions for the upcoming year. I won’t lie to you and tell you that I normally make resolutions because one of my worst personality traits is not following through. For example, I cannot tell you how many times I’ve decided to journal and then a day later, I’ve already forgotten or just don’t have the time. So while I’m not too interested in making resolutions for the year, there are a few aspects of my life where I’d like to focus on making positive changes. As hokey as it is, I find it beneficial to “put things out into the universe.” If you put it out, it will be. Right? Either way, here are a few things I want to focus on in 2018 in order to make it a year for positive personal growth:
- Reduce my impact on the environment– I think the past year has shown that the US government isn’t too focused on curbing our production of waste or taking any preventative measures for global warming. As a scientist, I cannot possibly continue living a wasteful life and ignoring the impact on the environment. Some ways that I’ve already started my journey/plan to continue a more waste-free life include buying laundry detergent from Echotopia, which came in a refillable glass jar. Though I already recycle A LOT, I really want to make sure this year that I’m better about paying attention and not letting anything that could be recycled slip through. I also really want to use reusable as often as possible, especially remembering my coffee cup when getting coffee out. Some items I want to add to my collection are metal straws, glass “ziploc” containers, reusable produce bags and reusable silicone bags.
- Drink more water! I’m seriously so lacking in the drinking water department. On any given day I probably drink less than 40 oz of water a day. I really need to do better.
- Eat whole, fresh foods— I have eaten so much crap in the past couple months and in doing so I have gained back the weight that I worked really hard to lose and I haven’t felt my best. My first goal is to complete a Whole30 from Jan 15-Feb 15 with no cheating. Then, I’m hoping to incorporate the Whole30 principles into my diet and focus on balance and moderation for the rest of the year
- Get back to the gym regularly– For most of 2017 I was dedicated in the gym and it made me feel SO good. I enjoy lifting weights but I’ve definitely been slacking for the past few months. I really want to get back in the gym, put in some work, and make some progress.
- Post here frequently– Since I’ve been blogging the past few months, I’ve really enjoyed it. It’s been a creative outlet that I haven’t had for the past few years. With having purchased my first camera and also getting into photography, I’m excited to see what types of things I’ll be inspired to blog about in 2018.
- Plan for travel– Travelling is a passion of mine that I haven’t truly been able to explore. I’m hoping in 2018 I’ll be able to plan another international trip and more domestic trips as well.
- Be accepted into grad school, earn my master’s, and follow it up with my dream job! This is the year y’all! I’m making career moves and I’m going to take steps to further myself towards my dream career.
Whether you’re a “New year, New me”, “New year, Same me”, or somewhere in between type of person, I wish you a happy, healthy New Year and I hope that nothing but good things come to you! Let me know in the comments what your resolutions or not resolutions are!
Until next time- Stay inspired!